Monday, August 4, 2008

one of the best things from japan

It's not even a full week since we got back from Japan, but it feels like months! Sleep has been irregular, my body's been going through wonky things like unexplained hives and lost appetite, and frankly I'm wondering whether I've developed some kind of allergy to New York. Although it's not as if I want to settle down in Japan. It's hard to imagine thriving in that kind of monolithic monoculture that pervades every aspect of life.

But anyway, today I want to introduce my single most treasured purchase I made that brings a piece of Japan back into my Brooklyn home. The towelket.What is "towelket" you ask? It is the pinnacle of comfort, the embodiment of home, something that can invoke a sense of security and wrap you in light warmth. It is the love child of the TOWEL and blanKET, and I can't believe it doesn't exist in the U.S.! I have fond memories of the towelket as a kid growing up in the sweltering heat of Tokyo. Towelkets were the perfect thing to sleep with on those summer nights because they were light, and soaked up your sweat. It's hard to find a towelket big enough for two people, but I found mine at the Muji store in Chofu, double size organic cotton. Heaven!

The danger of the towelket is the temptation to use it as a towel. Please, don't soil your towelket with your runny nose, shower-wet body, dirty dishwater hands or post-coital drip! With proper use the towelket will keep you lightly protected from overactive air conditioners and keep your heat worn body nice, cool and dry.

2 comments:

Yamahomo said...

You gotta have a designated towelket for post coital drips.

Kayolks said...

GROSS HOMO!

i still have my baby blanket which is a towelket too! it's in tatters, but i still sleep with it. is that demented? it's taken 28 years to get to this pinnacle of softness.