Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Working Day 3 or something?

First of all, look at what we have available to us as breakfast at the youth hostal: coffee, tang and little muffins....
Here is a pic of the hostal from the 4th floor where Hana and I stay. The square windows -- eerily similar to the Hotel Washington I stayed in in Tokyo, no?
Productive morning rehearsal, figuring out a sequence for images and monologues in different languages about identity.
At lunch I went to the phoe store where Hana and Juan were buying phones. I looked down at my feet and noticed how disgusting they were.
At afternoon rehearsal, here is the Netherlands team, Ellen with ISH.
Trying to take a photo of the b-boys is like trying to photograph a shooting star. Pretty sure that is Liam in that blur.
The Camaroonian piece, with Andre in the striped, Evelyn in the center and Valery in red.
After rehearsal we went to this awesome old-school taberna and had some specialty dishes, including deep-fried eggplant with honey, and pata negra, some kind of dried/cured pig leg thinly sliced. It was pretty awesome.We wanted more so we walked down to Puerta de Sol, the center of the city. Passed by this gi-normous ham shop. This city is ALL ABOUT the pig, man.
Ended in a bar. Any house red wine will do much good, and usually for a Euro and a half. Me, Valery and Juan. Everyone here smokes, and all my clothes get smokey.
I am so tired.
Oh so today we had African dancing warm-up. Awesome.
I forgot what it's like to be an actor. Actually great pleasure in just manifesting yourself. I don't know how else to explain. Also waking up thinking about the piece and rolling over in my bed and talking to Hana about it, first thing -- what a wonderful luxury, to be able to spend practically 24 hours a day just thinking about a piece. Even my own plays don't get this kind of attention from me. This is how it should be, for God's sake.

The process is inevitably frustrating, at times magical, sometimes tedious. But I feel good, still coming out with admiration for the people here -- especially the people on the U.S. team with me. Hana, for being always calm, clear-minded, direct without getting exasperated; Juan for always maintaining a positive enthusiasm and spirit of yes yes yes. I feel like I am trying to learn how to have fun again.

No comments: